Do I really need an attorney?
No, you are not required to have an attorney represent you. This is written in the Sixth Amendment, which provides citizens the right to represent themselves in a court of law. However, this right also allows you to choose your own counsel (or, if you cannot afford it, a state-appointed lawyer is provided for you).
If there is any question about hiring an attorney, keep in mind there are a few circumstances where you really should seek professional legal counsel:
- If you are trying to decide whether or not to go to trial
- If you know the police want to question you regarding a crime
- If your case involves a Constitutional right or matter
- If the prosecution has offered you a plea deal
Why should I work with a private criminal defense attorney?
The advantages of working with your own Rock Hill or Fort Mill criminal defense attorney are tremendous, especially when you are facing serious charges, like DUI, drugs, or assault. Local attorneys are familiar with local court procedures, staff, and prosecutors. They have relationships that can benefit your case, opening up paths to negotiations, reduced charges, or plea bargains.
Unlike state-appointed attorneys, when you hire an attorney, you are guaranteed dedicated and personal service. Private attorneys are not under impossible deadlines and heavy caseloads, and are able to treat each client as the utmost priority.
Working with a dedicated and seasoned criminal defense lawyer provides other benefits as well, including:
- Access to professional and expert resources
- Dedicated and aggressive legal counsel
- Completing legal paperwork properly and on time
- Full understanding of the charges against you
- Keeping you informed on the progress of your case
- Moving your case efficiently through the process
- Securing crucial case evidence
- Strategic and effective defense
Further, your attorney will provide the unwavering support you need.
How do I know which law firm to choose?
We know it can be overwhelming to decide on a law firm, especially on top of the stress you are feeling after an arrest. Keep these tips in mind when considering whether a firm fits your needs:
- How much experience do they have in criminal defense?
- Do they have testimonials and reviews from satisfied clients?
- What are their ratings on sites like comand MartindaleHubbell.com?
- Do they have experience in the local court system?
- Who will be handling your case? One attorney? An associate?
- Do you feel you can communicate well with the attorney and staff?
- What is the law firm's pricing structure and payment options?
Holland Law provides experienced criminal defense when you are facing charges or arrest. We serve clients in York, Lancaster, and Chester Counties. Call today to schedule a consultation in our Fort Mill office on Gold Hill Road, or in our Rock Hill office on Oakland Avenue at 803-219-2630, or reach out through our contact page.