Take the First Step in Your Case Today
Put 24+ Years of Experience on Your Side

Estate Planning Attorneys in Fort Mill

Estate Planning Attorneys in Fort Mill

Helping Fort Mill, Indian Land, York County & Lancaster County Residents Plan for the Future with Wills & Trusts

As you establish your legacy, you are sure to be thinking ahead to your golden years, surrounded by your family and the comforts you've worked hard to earn. However, it may not occur to you to think beyond that point. If the worst should happen to you tomorrow, do you have a plan in place to pass on your legacy? More importantly, do you have a plan to provide for the care of your children after your death? A solid estate plan protects your children, providing for their care and avoiding the often expensive and lengthy probate process.

To learn more, contact our attorneys at Holland Law LLC. We have two convenient office locations in Fort Mill and Rock Hill to better serve our Fort Mill, Indian Land, York County, and Lancaster County clients.

What happens if I don't have a Will?

The Intestate Succession and Wills section of the South Carolina Code of Law essentially establishes default heirs who will inherit if you do not have a will. If you are survived only by your spouse, he or she will inherit your estate; if you have both a spouse and child, your estate will be divided between them. Additional guidelines outline succession if you have no immediate family.

Your wishes, on the other hand, may be quite different. Maybe you want to provide a certain amount to each of your grandchildren. Perhaps you have a treasured possession you wish to entrust to a close friend. A specific church or nonprofit may be very dear to you.

Be prepared

The best way to be sure that you have provided for your family is by establishing a will. A will determines what happens to your assets, including financial and personal property, after you've passed away.

A will can govern your wishes in the following areas:

  • Which of your family members and loved ones will be heirs
  • The personal possessions you wish to pass on
  • Stipulations for inheritance—for example, the age at which a grandchild can take hold of money reserved for them
  • Appointment of a person to administer your property
  • Provisions regarding South Carolina estate taxes
  • Guardianship of minor children in your care

Speak to experienced legal counsel today about how to care for your family into the future. Take action by calling Holland Law LLC at (803) 500-4140.

Contact Me Today

Holland Law LLC is committed to answering your questions about Divorce and Family Law, DUI, Criminal Defense, and Personal Injury law issues in South Carolina. I'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact me today to schedule an appointment.